Wednesday, December 23, 2015

China: Grab it if you can Find it


The game, China, has gone out of print so I hesitated to write about it, but I decided to go ahead because I learned a few things from it. Maybe you will, too.

The first lesson is this: don't judge a game until you've played it.

I got China on a whim, a bargain too good to pass up. But when I received it and skimmed through the blurb on the box, I thought, meh, not my idea of a good time. The weirdly written text spoke of domination and territory take over and sounded much too confrontational for my taste (and too much like Risk). So I shoved it into the closet and it stayed there, unplayed, for six months. Finally, we broke it out, figured it out, and found it surprisingly entertaining. It's more strategic than in-your-face and the drawing of cards adds a fun luck factor, too. At 45 minutes, it's a fast, filler game that plays up to five.

And that leads to the second lesson:  Good things can come in strange packages.

The box is slim, as if there's nothing in there, the name unhelpful, the instructions translated by someone with only an academic knowledge of English, and yet, we would recommend this game. The problem now will be finding it. If, by chance,  you do, snatch it up.

# Players . . . 3-5
Ages 12 and up (so says the box. I'd say 10)
Game time . . . . . . . .45 minutes
Set up . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 minutes
Luck . . . . . . . . 7. . . Strategy
*Interplay . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
Visual Appeal . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
Component Quality . .. . . . . 7
*Replayability . . . . . . . . . . . 8

*See "How we Rate" for a definition.


No comments:

Post a Comment